Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Extra Credit Assignment

 The moment I walked in to this course I was a bit skeptical, I did not know what I was getting myself into. I always saw language just as a simple way of communication. I did not take into consideration of how dear it was for many people. Throughout my high school years I was positive in saying that there is such English as “proper English”. I thought wrong and so did many out there. When listening to many student in my high school speak “slang” it would actually upset me, at one point it would actually upset me and cause me to go off on them, usually telling them that there a sort of way of speaking English. This course taught me that English is spoken different among many. It is influenced by your surrounding and where you are from. If one is from the south such as Alabama, compared to New York the language or accent will be completely different. By the accent you will most likely determine that the speaker is from the south.
 At one point in my life I began to believe that the Russian language was not necessary, it was just a thought going through my head. I figured I live in America why need another language other than English. The linguistics course made me think otherwise; as we went along in the semester I came to realize how each and every language is important. Beginning with English and going as far as the Chulym language which is a language that is in danger of extinction.  Watching videos throughout the course made me realize that many of the speakers throughout the world did not have the rights speak their native language, they would face consequences. I began to realize that these languages were so dear to them; it is a part of their culture. I must say it was very hurtful, I felt as if I was betraying my parents’ culture when I thought that I will no longer need the Russian language. Language is a part of everyone.
Watching the Amy Walker video was amazing, it actually gave me a sort of inspiration. An inspiration towards traveling across the U.S and of course throughout the entire world, learning different languages, although she spoke English throughout the video it was in entirely different accents. Accents from all over the world; each state and country has a certain spice to their figure of speech.
Learning that language can determine what class a person is from was an amazing experience, watching Labov’s experiment was a great example. He set out to department stores that are separated by class. He went to Macy’s, Kleins, and the upscale Saks Fifth Avenue. Within his experiment he attempted to figure out which store employees would pronounce the term “fourth floor” with (r) sound. He concluded that stores such as Macy’s and Kleins where the middle class people would shop would silence the (r), whereas Saks fifth Avenue employees would pronounce it.  
Language is a gift; at least I tend to look at it in this fashion. I have a way of communicating within the English language which makes people realize that I am here and I am the type of person who is not about to take anything from anybody, but it also informs people that I am both willing to answer and give help to anyone who needs it. My strength is within my language which is English and Russian and I am proud of it! I am proud to say that I am multilingual; it is a sort of honor.
Language can do so much; I am able to speak to the elderly people in the Russian language, considering the fact that I work in a law firm this is a huge plus. Language is not just a simple way of communication, it’s a tool; a tool that must be looked within in order to realize how powerful it is. Luckily this course changed my way of looking at language, in fact it encouraged me to pursue the Chinese language, it is said that the Chinese language may be the next most spoken language in the world, at the moment it is the second.
Knowing how to communicate in English has given me a place within American society and so far I am enjoying to its’ limits. And of course, I have come to the realization that there is no limit to what one could achieve by both learning and understanding different sorts of languages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment